Additional role in firm
Ian acts for a number of pension schemes and has gained extensive pensions law experience on a wide range of issues. This includes acting as an arbitrator and as an expert witness in court proceedings.
Ian is the firm's Senior Partner but works full-time on client matters. Ian is Chairman of the firm's independent trustee company. As independent chairman or trustee of several pension funds, he has gained a good appreciation of the issues faced by trustee boards from a client perspective.
Ian is a former Chairman and Secretary of the Association of Pension Lawyers. He writes extensively for the pensions and national press, and lectures widely.
Memberships and Qualifications
Membership of professional bodies:
Association of Pension Lawyers (Full Member)
Qualified: 1980, England & Wales
Pensions experience since: 1982
Joined Sackers: 1996
Joined partnership/LLP: 1996
Employers: Trower Still & Keeling (1978-1981)
Nicholson Graham & Jones (1981-1996)
University of Hull (1974-1977)
Degree: Law Degree
- "goes for the jugular" - Legal 500 2012
- "Ian impresses clients with his responsiveness. He recently advised the trustees of Northern Rock on its restructuring and resale, and on the overhaul of its pensions schemes" – Chambers UK 2012
- Ian is "particularly good for strategic advice" – Legal 500 2011
- "the best pensions lawyer in London", with "encyclopaedic knowledge plus first-class judgement." - Legal 500 2010
- "Ian can appreciate the issues faced by trustee boards from a client perspective: "He really understand where we're coming from," say clients." – Chambers UK 2010
- "Ian is hailed for “his vast experience and first-class legal mind.”"
– Chambers UK 2009
- "Clients praise Ian’s ‘faultless service’ and ‘industry knowledge’" – Legal 500 2009
- Selected as a Legal Expert (highly recommended in Pensions)
– Legal Experts 2009
Extracurricular interests and activities:
Wine, football and forestry.
Back to the top | Back to Listing